The Central Library is functioning since 1988, housed in a separate three storied library building named SaraswatBhavan in an area of 5100 sq.mtr. approx., out of which reading area is 1500 sq.mtr. The Library has good collection of all the subjects and having strong collection in the subject areas of botany, chemistry, computer science, economics, environment science, history, food & nutrition, management, mathematics, microbiology, bio-technology, political science, religion, philosophy, vedic studies and zoology. In addition to the general & reference books, the collection also covers sufficient journals, reports, conference proceedings, statistics, audio-visual material and CDs. The readers are benefited with lending services, reading room facility, reference services, etc.
The Library remains open from 10.30 A.M. to 4.30 P.M.on working days, same as of the university. The issue-return timing is 11.00 A.M. to 4.00 P.M.
The Central Library is computerized since June 2003 having own Server, Library LAN utilizing UGC-INFLIBNET’s financial (Rs 6.50 Lacs) & technical assistance. The purchase of books, periodicals, other documents; recommendations of faculty members, technical processing, periodicals & reference services; billing, statistics, issue-return, membership, fee-fine controls, select bibliographic services and all other library housekeeping operations are totally computerized succeeding the UGC - INFLIBNET Program. The SOUL 2.0 software (developed by the INFLIBNET Centre (UGC), Ahmedabad) is used for all library housekeeping operations. On-line Technical assistance is continuously available from the INFLIBNET Centre, INFOCITY, Gandhinagar.
- Instead of cards catalogue, On-line Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) is available for readers.
- Technical Assistants work on computers (on LAN) at their seats for all jobs/services.
- Having Databases of all the books, theses, periodicals and members.
- Hardware used: IBM Server X3500M2, 12 Lenovo Client Computers H430 on LAN. Laser Printer (5), DMP 132 col.(2), Networking HUB/Unmanaged Switch (2) 16 ports.
- O.S., Software used: Windows 2008 Server, Windows 7, MS-SQL Server 2008, SOUL 188.8.131.52, MS-Office, Quick Heal, Kaspersky Anti-Virus, etc.
- Having safe power back support
The functioning, membership, lending of documents, administrative & managerial aspects are in the form of ‘Library Rules’ duly approved by the Board of Management, M.D.S.U. in 1997 for smooth functioning of the Central Library.